One of my favourite things to bake for the weekend is gluten-free banana muffins made from almond flour. I can probably make these with my eyes closed, so when it came to actually type up the recipe I realized that I have no idea where I first saw it. So I searched and searched and finally I found it. I like to give credit where credit is due! Click on this link to northdenvernutritiontherapy.com for the original recipe.
Makes 12 full size muffins
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix bananas, eggs, vanilla, honey and oil together.
- In a separate bowl mix almond flour, salt and baking soda.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the banana mixture.
- Scoop batter into a lined muffin tins
- Bake at 180° for 15-20 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean )
- Remove from oven and let cool
I have read similar recipes where they suggest using a food processor for the mixing. I rather enjoy mashing bananas, but if you prefer not to get your hands dirty and do not have a processor, place the bananas in a zip lock bag and smash away. The key here is to have ripe bananas. I have tried a version where I substituted the oil with apple sauce/puree and that worked just as well. I am tempted to throw on some kind of frosting to make this a little more tea-time and less breakfast but so far have resisted the urge – think adapting this to carrot muffins will then give me “permission” to add a cream cheese frosting – hmm stay tuned!